- Asbestos Experience: Look for a mesothelioma lawyer with a proven track record in handling cases involving asbestos exposure. They should have experience navigating the unique laws and statutes of limitations related to mesothelioma lawsuits.
- Case Results: Prioritize attorneys with a history of successful outcomes, especially within the personal injury field. Scrutinize the lawyer’s past case results, client testimonials, and practice areas relevant to mesothelioma.
- Client References: Research the law firm online and look for testimonials from satisfied clients. Consider contacting past clients directly to gain an insider’s perspective on the firm’s performance in similar lawsuits.
- Legal Fees: Opt for a law firm that operates on a contingency fee basis, like Meirowitz & Wasserberg, LLP; meaning you only pay if we win your case, and we invest our time and resources to maximize your settlement.
- Schedule Consultations: Take advantage of free consultations offered by Meirowitz & Wasserberg mesothelioma lawyers to discuss your case and assess suitability and gauge our expertise, communication style, and overall fit for your needs before making a decision.
Mesothelioma affects thousands of people in the United States, with up to 3,000 new cases arising every year. Mesothelioma is a form of cancer that almost exclusively occurs due to asbestos exposure. Most patients who receive mesothelioma diagnoses have grounds to win monetary damages during personal injury lawsuits. These cases, however, can be complicated, and require help from the right mesothelioma lawyer in NYC.
Check for a Legal Background in Asbestos Cases
First, check if the attorney has experience handling cases involving asbestos exposure. Mesothelioma lawsuits are not like other product liability or personal injury claims. They involve unique laws and statutes of limitations. It is important to find an attorney with a case history that reflects the same or at least similar circumstances to your case.
Look at the attorney’s past case results, client testimonials, and practice areas. Search for keywords such as “asbestos,” “workplace injuries,” and “mesothelioma” on the website. Ask during your free consultation if the lawyer has experience handling other mesothelioma clients, and what his or her success rate with these cases has been.
Ask About Case Results
Each case is unique, but your lawyer should have a track record of prior success stories at least within the personal injury field. An inexperienced attorney may try to win your business with ultra-low prices, but will ultimately not be the right fit for a case as complex as one involving mesothelioma. It is important to find an attorney with a proven record of settlements and verdicts obtained for NYC clients.
Try to Obtain Referrals
Referrals from friends or colleagues can help put you in touch with a proven mesothelioma lawyer. Reach out to others who worked with you at the location you believe exposed you to asbestos. Your former coworkers may have already hired attorneys to handle their cases, and can give you referrals. Your physician may also have past patients with mesothelioma, and connections to attorneys in the community.
Investigate the law firm online before you give it your business. A good mesothelioma lawyer should have at least a few testimonials from satisfied clients. Check for these reviews online, or ask the attorney if you can get in touch with past clients over the phone. Many lawyers will allow you to speak directly to satisfied clients, so you can get an insider’s point of view on how well the firm performed in a similar lawsuit.
Discuss Legal Fees and Expenses
A good attorney will realize you and your family are under enough financial strain dealing with mesothelioma as it is. Search for a firm that operates on a contingency fee basis, so you will not have any out-of-pocket expenses. A contingency based law firm does not charge anything for legal services unless it secures the client a settlement or verdict award. If the firm does win, it takes its fees directly from the award won – not out of the client’s wallet.
Discuss how much your lawyer will cost before you decide to retain the firm. Contact several lawyers to compare prices, but make sure you only consider high-quality choices. If you find a well-recommended lawyer with plenty of experience and a record of success in mesothelioma cases, it might be more worth your while to hire that lawyer rather than a less-experienced one, even if the latter does not charge as much for services.
Schedule a Free Consultation
Mesothelioma victims cannot truly know the right lawyer to hire until they have met with him or her in person. Most personal injury attorneys offer free, no-obligation consultations so you can discuss your case in more detail. You can ask questions and get to know the lawyer before making your decision. Schedule consultations with multiple options. Then, choose the attorney that feels right to you.