Veterans Mesothelioma: Resources and Guides for Legal Rights
Are you a veteran who has been diagnosed with mesothelioma? Do you suspect you were exposed to asbestos during your military service? If so, you may be eligible for compensation. The lawyers at Meirowitz & Wasserberg LLP specialize in mesothelioma and asbestos-related cases. With a history of successful settlements, personalized support for veterans and their families, and a contingency fee structure that ensures clients don’t pay anything upfront, Meirowitz & Wasserberg LLP may be the right choice for your legal representation.
Mesothelioma is an aggressive form of cancer. The disease’s main cause is asbestos exposure. Before the discovery of the dangers associated with asbestos, the fibrous material was widely used in constructing military buildings and manufacturing military vehicles, aircraft, and ships. As a result, many service members were exposed to asbestos, especially those who worked on ships.
Although the use of asbestos was discontinued in the 1970s, asbestos exposure can still occur. Military bases, equipment, buildings, machinery, ships, aircraft, and vehicles containing asbestos materials still pose risks today.
Mesothelioma in veterans is a widespread and serious issue. Older veterans make up 30% of cases of mesothelioma. If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you should understand your rights to compensation and how to claim your benefits.
- Services Provided by Meirowitz & Wasserberg LLP for Veteran Mesothelioma Cases
- Asbestos Exposure in Military Branches
- Mesothelioma Resources for Veterans
- Why Choose Meirowitz & Wasserberg, LLP for Veteran Mesothelioma Cases?
- Our Experienced Mesothelioma Lawyers Will Work Tirelessly for You and Your Family
- Veterans Mesothelioma FAQs
Services Provided by Meirowitz & Wasserberg LLP for Veteran Mesothelioma Cases
Our mesothelioma lawyers at Meirowitz & Wasserberg LLP are ready to help you win your veteran mesothelioma case. We offer:
- Free case evaluations to determine legal options and potential compensation. You can take advantage of our free case evaluation to ask questions about mesothelioma. We can help you understand your case and your chances of recovering compensation.
- Assistance with filing claims with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and other relevant agencies.
- Legal representation in court or settlement negotiations. Our lawyers are skilled negotiators and litigators. Our lawyers will represent you both at the negotiating table and in the courtroom.
We have also built a network of medical and financial experts to support veterans and their families. Their expertise can assist greatly with your case.
Asbestos Exposure in Military Branches
All branches of the United States military have used asbestos, because of its insulating and fireproofing properties.
The military used asbestos products in the construction of bases and barracks, so many service members in the U. S. Army encountered asbestos in the buildings where they lived and worked. It was also used to manufacture tanks, trucks, and vehicle parts such as brake pads and clutch plates. The peak of the exposure was from the 1930s to the 1970s.
Navy veterans may have the highest risk of asbestos exposure out of all the military service members. Many sailors lived in close quarters in ships loaded with the toxic substance. It was used in piping, insulation, deck tiles, and motors, among other things. Those at the highest risk are sailors who worked directly on the construction, repair, renovation, or demolition of ships from the 1930s through the 1980s.
U.S. Air Force
The United States Air Force heavily used asbestos to build aircraft, bases, and radar stations. Asbestos was used in engine heat shields, cockpit heating systems, vehicle brakes, and electrical wiring. Service members who worked as aircraft mechanics had the highest risk of exposure due to repairing aircraft parts built with asbestos.
U.S. Coast Guard
The United States Coast Guard used asbestos in building ships and bases, and as an insulating material in the engine rooms, boiler rooms, and other parts of ships. As a result, many service members in the U.S. Coast Guard were also likely exposed to asbestos.
U.S. Merchant Marine
Veterans who worked on U.S. Merchant Marine vessels also faced a significant risk of asbestos exposure. Many materials used in ship construction contained asbestos, so there was a high likelihood of exposure during routine vessel operation and maintenance.
National Guard veterans tend to have a lower likelihood of asbestos exposure than veterans of other branches of the United States military. However, mesothelioma cases from asbestos exposure in the National Guard do exist.
Mesothelioma Resources for Veterans
If you are a veteran diagnosed with mesothelioma from asbestos exposure during your service, you need to know about the different forms of mesothelioma compensation available to you. There are several mesothelioma veterans benefits, including the following:
- VA disability compensation, which pays as much as $3,823.89 tax-free
- VA pension for veterans whose income level is below $150,538, as of 2023
- Aid and Attendance (A&A) benefits for veterans who require a caregiver
- VA Health Care for veterans, which provides free or low-cost treatments from mesothelioma doctors at select VA hospitals
- Mesothelioma VA Benefits for Spouses and Dependent Children, such as the VA Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (VA DIC), which is a tax-free $1,562.74 for a spouse
It’s important to seek legal representation to explore the resources available to you. A mesothelioma lawyer can help you understand the benefits you are eligible for and work so that you receive them.
Meirowitz & Wasserberg LLP specializes in mesothelioma and asbestos-related disease. Our experienced mesothelioma lawyers have helped our veteran clients claim the mesothelioma compensation they deserve. Contact us for a free consultation.
Why Choose Meirowitz & Wasserberg, LLP for Veteran Mesothelioma Cases?
There are compelling reasons to work with the award-winning mesothelioma lawyers at our law firm, including:
- Our experience and expertise in mesothelioma and asbestos-related cases: Some law firms handle the occasional mesothelioma case, but our law firm has experience with many mesothelioma and asbestos-related cases.
- Our history of successful verdicts and settlements for clients: We have a track record of successful mesothelioma verdicts and settlements for our clients. Our case results speak for us.
- Our personalized attention and support for veterans and their families: Knowing the sacrifices our clients have made for our country, we treat our veteran clients with the utmost respect.
- Our contingency fee structure wherein clients pay nothing upfront: We only collect our fee when we recover compensation for you, so there is no risk in reaching out to get the compensation you deserve.
Our Experienced Mesothelioma Lawyers Will Work Tirelessly for You and Your Family
Veterans’ mesothelioma affects many brave men and women who sacrificed greatly to serve our country. Fortunately, you can recover compensation and benefits if asbestos exposure during your years of service caused your mesothelioma. You can rely on our mesothelioma lawyers to fight for you and recover maximum compensation.
If you’re a veteran who has been diagnosed with mesothelioma or you suspect asbestos exposure during your military service, don’t wait to seek legal help. Contact Meirowitz & Wasserberg LLP today for a free case evaluation and to learn more about your legal options for seeking compensation. Our experienced attorneys and compassionate support staff are here to help you navigate the legal system and fight for your rights. Call us now at 866-344-1021 or contact us online to schedule your consultation.
Veterans Mesothelioma FAQs
We have answers to some of the most common mesothelioma-related questions.
Is Mesothelioma a VA Disability?
Yes, mesothelioma is a VA disability. Veterans with mesothelioma who were exposed to asbestos as part of their military service, and who did not receive a dishonorable discharge, may be eligible for compensation.
Is Mesothelioma Common Among Veterans?
Yes, many veterans were exposed to asbestos. Currently, older veterans comprise 30 percent of mesothelioma cases in the United States.
Why Do Veterans Have Mesothelioma?
The primary risk factor for mesothelioma is exposure to asbestos, which the United States military used widely from the 1930s to 1970s. Many buildings, military bases, vehicles, ships, and aircraft were built with asbestos-containing products.
What Compensation Can Veterans with Mesothelioma Receive?
Veterans with mesothelioma qualify for several types of VA benefits. They can also file a lawsuit and pursue an asbestos trust funds claim.
AVAILABLE 24/7Get Your Free Case Review
Personal injury settlement
Slip and fall injury
Product liability injury
Premises liability injury
Nancy, New York (NY)