Talcum Powder Cancer Lawsuit
Did you know that baby powder contains talc, which can cause ovarian, peritoneal, and fallopian tube cancer? If you have been or someone you know has been diagnosed with one of these types of cancer and used baby powder below the waist more than 10 years ago, the knowledgeable attorneys at Meirowitz & Wasserberg, LLP can recover compensation for you by filing a baby talcum powder cancer lawsuit to address these issues.
Women have used talc-based baby powder for decades for hygiene reasons. Unfortunately, talcum powder products contain traces of asbestos, a fibrous mineral that can cause ovarian, peritoneal, and fallopian tube cancer. This issue has led to devastating cancer diagnoses and deaths. To hold baby powder manufacturers responsible for their suffering and losses, an increasing number of women have filed talcum powder cancer lawsuits against baby powder manufacturers. These lawsuits claim that manufacturers knew that their talc-based products could cause cancer but did not take steps to warn consumers.
If you have used talcum powder products below the waist more than 10 years ago and have been diagnosed with ovarian, peritoneal or fallopian tube cancer, Meirowitz & Wasserberg, LLP’s product liability lawyers can file a lawsuit. We will hold baby powder corporations accountable and get you the financial compensation you deserve. We offer free consultations at our New York, Texas, Pennsylvania, Florida, and New Jersey offices, and you do not have to pay unless we win.
- Why Choose Meirowitz & Wasserberg, LLP For Your Talcum Powder Cancer Lawsuit
- Who is eligible to file a talcum powder lawsuit?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- What damages can you obtain from a talcum powder cancer lawsuit?
- What is the history and current status of the talcum powder cancer lawsuits?
- The Relationship Between Talc Usage and Cancer
- Talc Powder Verdicts and Settlements
- Manufacturers Named in the Talcum Powder Cancer Lawsuits
- How much time do I have to file a talcum powder cancer lawsuit?
- Should I file an individual lawsuit or join a class action talcum powder cancer lawsuit?
- How long does it take to settle a talcum powder cancer lawsuit?
Why Choose Meirowitz & Wasserberg, LLP For Your Talcum Powder Cancer Lawsuit
Meirowitz & Wasserberg, LLP has a reputation for excellence in New York and beyond. Not only do we have the resources to take on massive companies like Johnson & Johnson, but every case is important to us. Accordingly, we will build a personalized strategy for your case to get you the maximum compensation possible. We handle cases in both federal and state courts across the United States, including cases involving highly complex multi-district litigation.
Our firm was founded by attorneys Samuel Meirowitz and Daniel Wasserberg. An accomplished New York City personal injury lawyer, Mr. Meirowitz has had a long successful track record of winning verdicts and settlements for his client. He is a “Top 100 Trial Lawyer” and was a Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in 2013 and 2014 and a “Super Lawyer” since 2016.
In 2013, Mr. Meirowitz obtained what is believed to be the first multi-million dollar asbestos verdict in more than 20 years in a New York federal court. In an earlier group of cases, he also successfully convinced reluctant corporations to pay large settlement amounts to nine smokers, resolving their claims that occupational asbestos exposure contributed to each smoker’s development of lung cancer.
Like Mr. Meirowitz, Mr. Wasserberg is firmly focused on helping people. He has appeared on the New York Metropolitan Super Lawyer list every year since 2013, and in 2017, he was named a “Top 100 Civil Litigator” by the National Trial Lawyers Organization. He is also widely recognized as a premier talc mesothelioma attorney nationwide.
Here are some of our most impressive case settlements and verdicts:
- $32,000,000+ asbestos exposure verdict at the end of a trial involving secondhand asbestos exposure claims
- $5,100,000+ mesothelioma settlement for a civilian maintenance mechanic and developed mesothelioma due to asbestos exposure
- $4,000,000+ mesothelioma settlement for a laboratory engineer who developed mesothelioma due to asbestos exposure
- $3,400,000+ mesothelioma settlement for a Navy Boiler Tender who developed mesothelioma
- $3,150,000+ mesothelioma settlement for a taper and painter diagnosed with mesothelioma who was exposed to asbestos-containing construction products and buildings
Who is eligible to file a talcum powder lawsuit?
If you want to file a baby powder lawsuit against a product manufacturer for creating and selling a product that caused you to develop cancer, you must provide evidence of the following:
- Diagnosis of cancer that is epithelial ovarian, serous primary peritoneal, or serous primary fallopian tube
- Biopsy information showing cancer’s link to talc powder exposure (Note: No borderline cases)
- Use of talc-containing products for at least 10 years near your genitals daily or almost daily before receiving an ovarian cancer diagnosis
Frequently Asked Questions
Does talcum powder still contain asbestos?
Yes. When talcum powder is mined, it often contains traces of asbestos, a fibrous mineral that is known to cause various types of cancer, including ovarian, fallopian tube, and peritoneal.
How can talcum powder get into my ovaries?
Talcum powder can enter your ovaries when applied to your genitals. The powder will be absorbed into the vagina and travel through the fallopian tubes into the ovaries. Over time, these talc particles lead to the growth of ovarian cancer cells.
What are the symptoms of ovarian cancer?
Symptoms of ovarian cancer vary from individual to individual, but most women with the condition will experience at least some of the following:
- Abdominal pain, bloating, and pressure
- Back pain
- Changes in gastrointestinal symptoms and weight
- Feeling abnormally full after eating
- Increased urge to urinate and urination
How do I know if talcum powder caused my cancer?
Because your body cannot break down talc, it can remain embedded in ovaries, pelvic lymph nodes, and fallopian tubes for decades.
If you are being diagnosed or treated for these cancers, your care team will remove tissue from these areas. If a pathologist finds talc fibers when looking at these tissue samples, you can use the pathology reports to demonstrate that talcum powder caused your cancer.
What damages can you obtain from a talcum powder cancer lawsuit?
By pursuing a personal injury claim against talcum powder manufacturers like Johnson & Johnson, you may receive compensation for the following:
- Lower life expectancy
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Lost wages and income
- Mental anguish
- Physical pain and suffering
Courts may award punitive damages on top of these damages if the manufacturer’s misconduct is particularly malicious and negligent. The purpose of punitive damages is to deter others from behaving similarly.
If you are a surviving family member of a loved one who died from ovarian or peritoneal and fallopian tube cancer caused by talcum-based powder products, you may be eligible to file a wrongful death suit. A wrongful death lawsuit can give you compensation for your loved one’s pain and suffering and the loss of their financial compensation to your family.
What is the history and current status of the talcum powder cancer lawsuits?
Individual and class action talcum powder cancer lawsuits against manufacturers like Johnson & Johnson have been ongoing for years.
The first talcum powder ovarian cancer lawsuit was filed in 2013 by Deana Berg, a physician’s assistant from South Dakota who developed ovarian cancer in 2006. Johnson & Johnson offered her a $1.3 million confidential settlement, but she declined. In 2013, she was granted a unanimous verdict against Johnson & Johnson but did not receive compensation.
Thousands of talcum powder cancer lawsuits soon followed. Eventually, they were consolidated into the Talcum Powder multidistrict litigation. The plaintiffs in these cases alleged that Johnson & Johnson knew that their talc products contained asbestos and other carcinogens for decades but persisted in creating and marketing them.
In 2019, Johnson & Johnson voluntarily recalled 33,000 bottles of baby powder after the Food and Drug Administration discovered evidence of asbestos in one of the bottles. This violation undercut Johnson & Johnson’s previous claims that their products were safe, leading to increased talcum powder cancer lawsuits.
In October 2020, Johnson & Johnson agreed to pay $100 million to settle more than 1,000 cases. The company was expected to deliver more bulk settlements, but settlements slowed once Johnson & Johnson planned to offload their talc liabilities into bankruptcy court.
In January 2023, the U.S. 3rd Circuit of Appeals in Philadelphia rejected Johnson & Johnson’s bankruptcy plan. Accordingly, a settlement deal with all talcum powder plaintiffs is again possible.
The Relationship Between Talc Usage and Cancer
There have been extensive studies associating genital talc powder use and cancer since the 1980s.
If you or a loved one developed cancer due to using genital talc products, Meirowitz & Wasserberg, LLP’s product liability lawyers will reference the most up-to-date research to demonstrate that talc exposure caused cancer. For instance, if you or a loved one developed ovarian cancer, we will reference the following studies:
- Association between perineal use of talc powder and risk of ovarian cancer. In this review from 2019, researchers noticed a correlation between perineal talcum use and ovarian cancer. They also found that White and Latina, pre-menopausal, and post-menopausal women undergoing hormonal therapy had the highest risk.
- Genital use of talc and risk of ovarian cancer. This 2018 study revealed a statistically significant association between using talcum powder on genitals and receiving a diagnosis of ovarian cancer.
Talc Powder Verdicts and Settlements
Some plaintiffs have obtained large verdicts and settlements after filing an individual talc powder lawsuit or joining a talc powder class action. These verdicts and settlements include:
- $4.69 billion 2018 verdict for 22 women who claimed Johnson & Johnson’s talc products caused their ovarian cancer
- $417 million 2017 verdict for Eva Echeverria, who used Johnson & Johnson’s Baby Powder and Shower to Shower for more than 40 years
- $110 million 2017 verdict for Lois Slemp, who used Johnson & Johnson’s Baby Powder and Shower to Shower body powder for more than 40 years
- $100 million 2020 settlement for more than 1,000 Johnson & Johnson talcum powder ovarian cancer claims
- $72 million 2016 verdict for the estate of Jacqueline Fox
- $21.7 million 2018 verdict for Joanne Anderson
Manufacturers Named in the Talcum Powder Cancer Lawsuits
Talcum powder lawsuits have named the following manufacturers and products in their lawsuits:
Brands and Products
Johnson & Johnson
Shower to Shower and Johnson’s Baby Powder
Imerys Talc North America (Johnson & Johnson’s talc supplier)
Raw industrial and cosmetic talc
McKesson Baby Powder
Nivea Pure Talcum Powder
Whittaker, Clark & Daniels
Raw cosmetic talc
Raw industrial talc
How much time do I have to file a talcum powder cancer lawsuit?
Depending on your state, the deadline for filing a Johnson & Johnson ovarian cancer lawsuit can range from 2 to 10 years. However, most states have two-year statutes of limitations. An experienced talcum powder cancer lawyer from Meirowitz & Wasserberg, LLP can advise you on your legal options.
Should I file an individual lawsuit or join a class action talcum powder cancer lawsuit?
If you want to sue Johnson & Johnson and other manufacturers for creating products that caused you to develop cancer, you must choose between filing an individual lawsuit or joining a class action lawsuit.
An individual lawsuit is only between you and the manufacturer you hold accountable, while a class action consolidates hundreds or thousands of talcum powder lawsuits into one venue. Class action lawsuits offer several advantages, such as more consistent damage awards, lower litigation costs, and more strength in numbers. However, if you join a class action lawsuit, you will have little to no control over your case.
Meirowitz & Wasserberg, LLP’s experienced talcum powder ovarian cancer lawyers can review your case and determine whether you should file an individual lawsuit or join a class action lawsuit.
How long does it take to settle a talcum powder cancer lawsuit?
The amount of time required to settle a talcum powder lawsuit or Johnson & Johnson ovarian cancer lawsuit depends on many factors, including whether you have strong evidence that your cancer was caused by talcum powder use. Generally, you can expect a case to take 3 to 7 years.
Interested in learning more about how we can help you? Call us at 866-918-3601 at any day or time so we can give you a free case consultation. We will not charge you a fee unless we win.
Personal injury settlement
Slip and fall injury
Product liability injury
Premises liability injury
New York City Office
Nancy, New York (NY)