Can I Sue the City of New York After an Injury?

If you were accidentally injured in New York City, as a result of hazardous property conditions, or the City’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. But what if the property owner is the city of New York or one of its many public agencies? Can you sue the city of New York?

In most cases, the answer is yes, but adhering to the strict deadlines of the Notice of Claim period, and then proving notice and negligence are required. You need a qualified and experienced law firm to act on your behalf to meet all of the potential Notice of Claim requirements and deadlines in order to protect your rights. Meirowitz & Wasserberg, LLP, knows the law on filing cases against New York City, and will be a powerful advocate for you.

What is a Notice of Claim?

A completed Notice of Claim is a form that protects and allows for your lawsuit against the City or State of New York to go forward. This informs the municipality of the accident and your injuries. In most cases, the Notice of Claim filing must be within 90 days of the accident, however, if the suit involves a wrongful death claim, then then the statute of limitations could potentially be extended. However, if you do not file a Notice of Claim in a timely manner, the Courts are likely to dismiss your case.

What is Sovereign Immunity?

Sovereign immunity protects municipalities like the City or State of New York from lawsuits unless they consent to the legal action. New York has waived its sovereign immunity if the plaintiff follows strict guidelines and meets all of the required deadlines, and notice requirements. The strict Notice of Claim period requires claim submission within 90 days of an accident. Our firm is experienced in handling these claims, and we can assure the protection of your rights in the hearing which follows the Notice of Claim. Failure to meet any of these deadlines or any of the other statutes of limitations could result in a lawsuit being nullified.

We Represent People, Not Corporations

The City of New York and all of its agencies function as one big corporation. In fact, the New York City Law Department is called the “Corporation Counsel.” Sam N’ Dan have the requisite experience and know how to protect the rights of injured New Yorkers.

Contact Us Today

Whether you were injured while visiting the City or you are a New Yorker, bringing a lawsuit against any government agency or municipality can be a challenge. One wrong step and your suit will get tossed out of court. Get the guidance and advice you need today. If you have been injured and feel the city of New York is responsible, contact Meirowitz & Wasserberg today at 800-726-6326 or online for a free and no-obligation legal consultation.