New York City Dog Bite Lawyer
If you’ve been bitten by a dog in New York City, you deserve compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and emotional suffering. Through an insurance claim or lawsuit, you can fight to hold the dog’s owner or other negligent parties responsible for your devastating injury. Our New York dog bite attorneys have helped clients win over $300 million in life-changing settlements and jury awards. Let us help you fight for a maximum financial recovery, too.
Have you or someone you care about recently been bitten by a dog in New York City, NY? Contact Meirowitz & Wasserberg, LLP, for immediate assistance. You shouldn’t have to struggle with the consequences of your dog bite injury on your own. Our experienced NYC dog bite lawyers can help you fight for the financial award you deserve.
Since 2015, dog-bite victims and grieving families in NYC have turned to Meirowitz & Wasserberg for help after devastating animal attacks. As leaders in personal injury litigation with 40+ years of experience, our award-winning New York trial attorneys have won over $300 million in settlements and verdicts.
Now we’re ready to help you demand accountability and fight for the compensation you need and deserve. Call our law office in New York City to schedule a free, no-obligation case evaluation to begin.
- Why Choose Meirowitz & Wasserberg to Help You After a Dog Bite in NYC
- Why Should I Hire a Lawyer If You’ve Been Bitten By a Dog In New York City
- Understanding New York Dog Bite Laws
- What Should I Do If I’ve Been Bitten By a Dog in NYC?
- Call Our Experienced NYC Dog Bite Attorneys For a Free Consultation Today
- NYC Dog Bite FAQs
Why Choose Meirowitz & Wasserberg to Help You After a Dog Bite in NYC
There’s a lot riding on your dog bite injury claim. In these moments, asking for help is important to ensure you make the most of your fight for compensation. Your choice of NYC personal injury attorney matters.
Here’s why dog-bite victims and their families in NYC trust Meirowitz & Wasserberg with their cases:
- We’re nationally recognized trial attorneys with the skill, hunger, and commitment to get our clients the best result every time.
- Other law firms regularly refer cases to our highly-skilled legal team.
- Our award-winning attorneys have been recognized as Super Lawyers and Top 100 Trial Lawyers.
- Our case results speak volumes, with over $300 million in compensation recovered for deserving clients like you.
- Collectively, our accomplished attorneys have over 40 years of experience handling complex dog bite injury claims.
- We only represent people, never corporations or insurance companies.
- There’s absolutely no cost to hire our dog bite attorneys in NYC unless we win your case.
We’re not just here to help you win your dog bite case. We’re here to support you and make a genuine difference in your life. When you choose Meirowitz & Wasserberg, you put a team of compassionate, trustworthy litigators in your corner and increase the odds of a meaningful financial recovery.
Call our law office in New York City to arrange a time for your free consultation today. We’re always available to help, 24 hours a day.
Why Should I Hire a Lawyer If You’ve Been Bitten By a Dog In New York City
Hiring an attorney is one of the best decisions you can make after you’ve been bitten by a dog in NYC.
After all, the dog’s owner won’t rush to accept responsibility for the attack. They might even say you provoked the animal or argue that you were trespassing. Insurance companies will actively work against your best interests, trying to find a reason to deny your claim or offer a bare-bones settlement.
When you hire an attorney, you level the playing field and show the defendant that you won’t be pushed around during this difficult time in your life.
You also give yourself the opportunity to focus on your recovery by putting your case in experienced legal hands.
With Meirowitz & Wasserberg, you can count on us to handle all aspects of your dog bite injury claim and do the following:
- Launch an independent investigation into your dog bite case
- Analyze medical records, police reports, photographs, clothing worn at the time of the attack, video footage, witness statements, and other evidence
- Bring in animal behavior experts, medical professionals, psychologists, rehabilitation specialists, and other professionals to consult on your case
- Determine who might be liable for your injuries
- Negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf
- Fight for you at trial if you don’t receive a meaningful settlement offer
Don’t settle for less than you deserve after a dog bites you. Fight for a maximum financial recovery by trusting our highly-respected dog bite attorneys with your case. We offer a free initial case evaluation, so contact our NYC law office for help today.
Understanding New York Dog Bite Laws
Like other states, New York has specific laws that apply to dog bites and animal attacks. These laws directly impact your legal rights and ability to recover compensation if a dog attacks you or a loved one in New York City.
Does New York Have a One-Bite Rule?
Many states have a one-bite rule, which holds that a dog’s owner is not automatically responsible for damages resulting from a dog’s first bite. Essentially, the dog’s first bite is free.
However, New York does not have a true one-bite law. Instead, New York takes a hybrid approach to dog-bite litigation, mixing elements of strict liability and negligence.
Under New York state law:
- An owner of a “dangerous” dog is strictly liable for medical bills resulting from a dog bite.
- Dog owners are liable for additional damages if the owner was negligent or knew, or should have known, that the dog was dangerous or had a propensity for aggression.
If a “dangerous” dog has bitten you, the owner is automatically responsible for your medical bills. However, for additional damages, you’ll have to prove that the dog had a history of aggression or that the dog’s owner was negligent in some way.
What is a Dangerous Dog?
In New York, strict liability applies in dog bite cases involving dangerous dogs.
A dog is defined as “dangerous” if it:
- Attacks and injures or kills a person, companion animal, farm animal, or domestic animal without provocation
- Behaves in a manner that a reasonable person would believe poses a serious and unjustified imminent threat of serious physical injury or death to a person or another animal
Police dogs are explicitly excluded from the definition of dangerous dog under New York state law.
How Can I Prove an Owner Knew or Should Have Known Their Dog Was Dangerous?
Your medical bills might be covered if you’re bitten by a dog in New York City, but to get additional compensation, you’ll need to show that an owner was negligent or that their animal had a history of aggression.
You might be able to demonstrate negligence or knowledge of aggression by providing evidence that shows:
- Documented incidents of the dog’s aggression, such as growling, bearing its teeth, or lunging at people or animals
- The owner has had to use a muzzle to control the dog or prevent it from biting in the past
- The owner’s refusal or failure to comply with New York City leash laws
- The owner regularly allows the dog to roam freely around the neighborhood
- Fights with other animals
- Complaints about the dog and its behavior
Proof of prior attacks on other animals or people can also provide compelling evidence of an owner’s negligence.
At Meirowitz & Wasserberg, our dog bite attorneys in NYC have decades of experience litigating dog bite injury cases. We have an in-depth understanding of New York’s complex dog bite laws and know the best ways to build a successful legal claim for victims of dog bites.
Put our extensive experience and insight to work for your benefit. Call our legal team in NYC to set up a time to discuss the details of your dog bite case today.
What Should I Do If I’ve Been Bitten By a Dog in NYC?
Every year, thousands of people are bitten by dogs in New York City. According to the NYC Department of Health, 6,028 people visited the emergency room because of a dog bite, and at least 315 people were hospitalized due to the severity of their injuries.
That’s roughly 16 dog bites daily across Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island, and Queens.
If a dog bites you or a loved one in NYC, knowing what you should and shouldn’t do to protect yourself is important. Here are some key steps to take after an attack:
- Call 911 for assistance. You’ll want a formal record of the incident if you decide to pursue a legal claim for damages.
- Get to the closest hospital in NYC. Dog bite injuries can be catastrophic. It’s essential to seek emergency medical care to ensure your injuries are properly diagnosed and treated. This can limit the risk of infection, complications, and death. Additionally, your visit will create a record of your injuries, which will be critical evidence in your dog-bite case.
- Report the dog bite to the Health Department. In addition to calling the police, you must call 311 or the Health Department to report the dog bite within 24 hours. You can also report the dog bite online.
- Gather evidence and document your injuries. Take pictures of your injuries. Save the clothing you were wearing at the time of the dog bite. Write down the names and phone numbers of witnesses to the attack. Write down your memory of what happened before it begins to fade.
- Direct all questions to your NYC dog bite attorney. The dog’s owner or an insurance company might try to contact you about the dog bite. You’ll want to ensure any communications are directed to your attorney. Insurance companies, in particular, will be trying to elicit information from you that could hurt your ability to recover compensation. Your attorney will be able to force them to converse fairly and engage in meaningful conversations when it’s time to negotiate.
Call Our Experienced NYC Dog Bite Attorneys For a Free Consultation Today
You’ve been bitten by a dog in New York City. Now is the time to take a stand and hold the dog’s owner fully responsible for your costs and suffering. Meirowitz & Wasserberg can help.
Our New York dog bite attorneys have 40+ years of experience and a proven ability to win top results. We’ve secured over $300 million for our clients, and now we’re ready to get you the best outcome in your dog bite injury case.
Contact our NYC law office for a free, no-obligation case assessment.
NYC Dog Bite FAQs
Getting bitten by a dog can be absolutely devastating. It can change the course of your life forever. So, it’s easy to understand why you might have questions about your rights and legal options. Meirowitz & Wasserberg has the answers you need.
What Damages Can I Get In a NYC Dog Bite Injury Case?
When you’re bitten by a dog in New York City, you receive the right to file a legal claim seeking both economic and non-economic damages for the following:
- Current medical bills, including hospitalization, surgery, medication, prosthetics, medication, and medical devices
- Future medical expenses
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Lost wages and earnings
- Funeral expenses if a dog bite is fatal
- Pain and suffering
- Chronic physical pain
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Reduced quality of life
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
Our New York dog bite attorneys will carefully evaluate your case with the help of experts and work to secure all damages you’re entitled to under New York state law.
What’s the Statute of Limitations on New York Dog Bite Lawsuits?
You’ll have three years from the date of your dog bite to file a personal injury lawsuit for damages.
If a loved one dies from a dog attack in NYC, you will have two years to pursue damages through a wrongful death lawsuit.
When a child is bitten by a dog in New York City, the statute of limitations is tolled until they turn 18, giving them until their 21st birthday to file a dog bite claim.
How Much Does it Cost to Hire a NYC Dog Bite Attorney?
At Meirowitz & Wasserberg, we know a dog bite can be costly. Medical bills can add up quickly. If you cannot work, you might have to drain your savings to compensate for a sudden loss of income. Hiring an attorney should make things easier, not more stressful.
That’s why our dog-bite attorneys in NYC work on contingency. You pay nothing for our help unless we win your dog bite case. When we win, our fee comes directly from your financial award, meaning no out-of-pocket cost to you.
What’s the Average Dog Bite Settlement in NYC?
There is no average dog-bite settlement. Every victim’s story will be unique. Rather, the specific details of your situation will dictate how much money you might be able to get in a dog bite settlement or jury award.
Important considerations can include the following:
- The victim’s age and life expectancy before the dog bite
- The specific injuries sustained in the dog attack
- Whether the victim provoked the animal or was unlawfully on the property at the time of the attack
- The victim’s contributory negligence, including provocation and trespassing at the time of the attack
- Changes in the victim’s ability to work and earning capacity
- Aggravated pre-existing medical conditions
- Psychological consequences of the dog attack
- Available insurance benefits and policy limits
The more a victim’s life changes because of a dog bite, the more money they can potentially expect to recover through an insurance claim or lawsuit.
What Are the Most Common Dog Bite Injuries?
No matter the breed, dogs are powerful animals. Their jaws and teeth can inflict devastating, potentially life-changing injuries.
Meirowitz & Wasserberg will fight to get compensation for all your dog bite injuries, including the following:
- Broken bones
- Nerve damage
- Eye injury
- Cuts and lacerations
- Puncture wounds
- Brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Complete or partial amputation
- Soft tissue damage
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Catastrophic injury
- Wrongful death of a family member
Make it a priority to seek medical treatment as soon as you can after you’re bitten by a dog. Prompt care could be the difference between moderate trauma and a permanently debilitating injury.
AVAILABLE 24/7Get Your Free Case Review
Personal injury settlement
Slip and fall injury
Product liability injury
Premises liability injury
New York City Office
Nancy, New York (NY)