Demolition Construction Accident NYC
Demolition accidents are avoidable. When they happen, the consequences can be catastrophic. As a victim, you may have the right to pursue compensation to offset the costs of your medical treatment and make up for a sudden loss of income. Getting benefits can be an uphill battle, but that’s where our NYC demolition construction accident lawyers can help.
- Role of Meirowitz & Wasserberg in NYC Demolition Construction Accident Cases
- Steps to Take After an NYC Demolition Construction Accident
- What Are the Most Common Causes of Demolition Construction Accidents in New York City?
- Exploring Damages in Demolition Construction Cases
- What’s the Statute of Limitations in NYC Demolition Construction Accident Cases?
- Preventing Demolition Construction Accidents in New York City
- Contact Meirowitz & Wasserberg for Help With Your NYC Demolition Accident Lawsuit Today
Demolition is a normal part of construction in New York City, but it doesn’t come without risks. The risk of injury increases significantly when safety regulations are ignored, and workers aren’t provided with necessary personal protective equipment. If you’ve been injured in a demolition accident on a construction site in New York City, New York, call Meirowitz & Wasserberg, LLP. Our NYC demolition construction accident lawyers can help you pursue compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages you’ve endured.
Since 2015, Meirowitz & Wasserberg has advocated for injured construction workers and grieving families in NYC. As leaders in construction accident litigation, our highly acclaimed New York trial attorneys have leveraged over $300 million in benefits packages, settlements, and jury awards for clients like you.
Demolition accidents are avoidable. Don’t struggle with the consequences alone. Call us for a free consultation and discover how our law firm can make a difference in your life. Your initial case evaluation is free.
Role of Meirowitz & Wasserberg in New York Bone Fracture Accident Cases
Demolition may seem straightforward, but as a construction worker, you know nothing could be further from the truth. It’s a complicated process requiring considerable planning and attention to detail.
When a demolition accident happens, there needs to be a prompt and thorough investigation and a careful analysis of the plans. Anything less won’t reveal where demolition went wrong and why the accident happened. Without such information, recovering compensation for your injuries will be challenging.
That’s where Meirowitz & Wasserberg can help.
We’re nationally recognized trial attorneys with a proven ability to take on powerful New York construction companies, insurance providers, and property owners and win big for our clients.
When you turn to us for help after your demolition accident, you’ll be able to count on us to:
- Launch a thorough independent investigation into the accident.
- Review the results of internal investigations conducted by your employer and inquiries launched by state and federal agencies.
- Gather evidence needed to build a successful legal claim for damages.
- Consult with construction industry specialists, demolition professionals, medical specialists, rehabilitation professionals, and other experts to build your case and determine the value of your damages.
- Determine all potential options for financial recovery—including workers’ compensation benefits and damages in a third-party lawsuit.
- Represent you during all interactions with your employer, insurance carriers, and other parties.
- Aggressively pursue a maximum settlement offer during negotiations.
- Reject unreasonably low settlement offers and bring your demolition construction accident lawsuit to a NYC jury, if necessary.
The process of recovering compensation after a demolition accident can be quite challenging. When you hire our demolition accident attorneys in NYC for help, you can make the road to recovery much easier for you and your family.
We work on a contingency fee basis, so you risk nothing by asking for our help. You only pay if we win your demolition construction accident case. Our fees come right out of your financial recovery, so you have no out-of-pocket cost.
Contact our skilled legal team in NYC today to get started.
Steps to Take After an NYC Demolition Construction Accident
Demolition accidents can be—and often are—catastrophic. The choices you make in the aftermath can have a very real impact on your future and ability to recover compensation for resulting trauma.
Here’s what you should and shouldn’t do after you’re involved in a demolition accident in New York City:
- Seek medical attention at a local hospital in NYC immediately, even if you don’t suspect your injuries are severe.
- Report the accident and any resulting injuries to your employer to reserve your right to seek workers’ compensation insurance benefits.
- Document the accident, if possible. Take pictures of the job site, note the devices used to execute the demolition, and list the individuals and contractors involved in the demolition process.
- Don’t explain what went wrong or accept responsibility for problems if you were involved in the demolition process.
- Reach out to an experienced construction accident attorney in New York City as soon as possible.
Hiring an attorney is a great way to protect your rights and increase the odds of a meaningful financial recovery. Your attorney will draw on their prior experience handling demolition accident cases and utilize the considerable resources available at their law firm to help you navigate the days, weeks, and months ahead. They’ll represent you during all conversations with your employer and other parties and work to secure the monetary award needed to move forward with your life.
At Meirowitz & Wasserberg, our top-rated litigators have 40+ years of experience advocating for construction workers injured in demolition accidents in New York City. We offer the compassionate, personalized representation of a small firm and the power and resources of a large firm.
Call us to discover why you’ll want us fighting for you after your demolition accident in NYC.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Demolition Construction Accidents in New York City?
Demolition is quite dangerous, especially in a heavily populated and highly concentrated city like New York.
Understandably, construction companies must request permits to demolish existing structures and comply with several New York state construction laws and codes—including Chapter 33 of the NYC Building Code, which provides guidance and instruction for proper demolition in the city.
Despite this, demolition accidents still happen. In 2022, the number of construction accidents in NYC reportedly increased. Many likely involved demolition as the city saw a considerable increase in demolition permit requests that year.
Why are demolition accidents happening when there are safeguards and regulations in place? The answer is negligence. Most demolition accidents happen when corners are cut, mistakes are made, and people are careless.
Some of the most common contributing factors to NYC demolition construction accidents include:
- Falls from heights
- Slips and falls
- Workers struck by falling debris
- Building collapse
- Heavy machinery malfunctions
- Explosions and fires
Workers injured in demolition accidents are highly susceptible to burn injuries, amputation, crush injuries, traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord trauma, and wrongful death
Exploring Damages in Demolition Construction Cases
As a construction worker in New York City who suffers injury in a demolition gone wrong, you’ll generally have two options for recovering compensation.
The first involves filing a claim with your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance company. The second involves seeking monetary damages in a lawsuit against a liable third party.
Workers’ compensation is a no-fault system that helps accelerate the payment of benefits to construction workers injured on the job. Benefits can include the following:
- Medical expenses
- Wage replacement benefits
- Survivor benefits
Under New York law, wage replacement benefits typically equate to two-thirds of your average weekly wage before the demolition accident.
Construction Accident Lawsuit
You waive the right to file a lawsuit against your employer if you collect workers’ compensation benefits. However, you can still seek additional damages from a liable third party—such as a subcontractor, equipment manufacturer, co-worker, or property owner.
When you file a lawsuit, you reserve the right to seek economic and non-economic damages for the following :
- Current and future medical bills
- Diminished earning capacity
- Lost wages
- Nursing assistance
- Pain and suffering
- Chronic physical pain
- Physical scarring
- Reduced quality of life
- Loss of consortium
- Emotional distress
Punitive damages—recoverable when there’s clear and convincing evidence of intentional misconduct or gross negligence—can also be awarded if a demolition construction accident lawsuit goes to trial.
What's the Statute of Limitations in NYC Demolition Construction Accident Cases?
It depends on how you decide to pursue compensation for your demolition accident injuries.
- Workers’ compensation must be filed within two years of the date of injury.
- You must file a civil construction accident lawsuit within three years of your demolition accident.
- A wrongful death action must be filed within two years of a worker’s death.
The statute of limitations has very few exceptions. Don’t let too much time pass by before taking action. You’ll lose the right to recover much-needed compensation if you don’t file your claim before time runs out.
Preventing Demolition Construction Accidents in New York City
Demolition is inherently dangerous, so it’s critical for New York City employers to go to great lengths to ensure the process runs smoothly.
It helps that New York City laws provide guidance for safe demolition and impose strict requirements on construction companies as they take down structures across all five boroughs.
Ultimately, demolition construction accidents can be avoided by doing the following:
- Complying with all state, federal, and local safety regulations and requirements
- Performing several aspects of demolition by hand, including the deconstruction of walls and partitions
- Guarding chimneys, walls, and other structures to prevent premature or uncontrolled collapse
- Providing workers with safe footing and fall-protection devices
- Ensuring all workers can access exits and leave the structure at all times
- Providing appropriate safety gear to workers on the job site to prevent injury
- Constructing a compliant catch platform to protect ground workers from falling debris
With proper planning and careful execution, demolition accidents can become a rarity in New York City. However, remember that it just takes one mistake or shortcut for something to go wrong.
Contact Meirowitz & Wasserberg for Help With Your NYC Demolition Accident Lawsuit Today
Have you recently suffered injuries in a demolition accident at a New York City construction site? Call Meirowitz & Wasserberg. We can help you understand your legal rights and build a compelling claim to get you the compensation you need and deserve.
Our construction accident lawyers in New York City are award-winning litigators with 40+ years of experience. As tenacious advocates for our clients, we’ve helped them win over $300 million in settlements and verdicts.
Let us help you fight back after your demolition accident. We offer a free consultation, so contact our NYC law office to get started today.
Our NYC Personal Injury Attorneys
AVAILABLE 24/7Get Your Free Case Review
Personal injury settlement
Slip and fall injury
Product liability injury
Premises liability injury
New York City Office
Nancy, New York (NY)