New Jersey Surgical Error Attorney
Medical injuries are one of the leading causes of accidental death in the United States, and surgical errors play a significant role in this trend. A surgical error is any mistake during a surgical procedure that results in injury to the patient. Surgeons and their supporting staff must provide an acceptable standard of care in any procedure. Negligence can lead to serious patient injuries or even death in some cases. When a patient suffers injury from a surgical error, he or she can secure compensation through a medical malpractice claim. If you or a loved one suffers injuries due to a surgical error, a skilled New Jersey surgical error attorney at Meirowitz & Wasserberg, LLP, can advise you about your best course of action.
How Surgical Errors Happen
Medicine is an inherently uncertain profession, and doctors must be able to function in high-stress situations where every second counts. Surgical errors happen for several reasons, and those that occur due to negligence often lead to medical malpractice claims. Some of the causes of surgical error lawsuits that our New Jersey medical malpractice lawyers have seen include:
- Incompetence. Doctors must possess adequate skill and training before attempting any surgical procedure. Some procedures require doctors to complete specialized training before they may conduct them. Doctors who lack the skill to successfully complete a surgical procedure put their patients at grave risk by attempting the procedure without an acceptable level of competence.
- Drugs and alcohol. Hospitals and operating rooms are very stressful work environments, and many doctors work long hours. When doctors choose to cope with fatigue and stress with drugs and alcohol they are a clear danger to their patients.
- Insufficient preoperative procedures. Doctors must fully prepare patients for their surgeries, and this can include instructing a patient to fast or limit fluid intake for a day or more before a procedure as well as preparing the operating room with the devices and instruments necessary for carrying out a procedure.
- Poor communication. Surgeons, anesthesiologists, nurses, and support staff must all communicate and coordinate during surgical procedures to carefully monitor all aspects of the procedure and catch issues before they can impact patient health.
- Anesthesia errors. Too much or too little anesthesia can cause life-threatening problems during a surgical procedure.
- Some surgeons are simply not as careful as they should be during procedures. This can lead to accidental injuries near the surgery site, infections from poorly sterilized equipment, or other complications.
- Gross negligence. This term refers to errors that even untrained individuals would likely avoid, such as operating on the wrong body part or performing a procedure on the wrong patient.
If you or a loved one was injured after experiencing any of the aforementioned scenarios, speak with a qualified personal injury attorney in New Jersey.
Compensation for Victims of Surgical Errors in New Jersey
A surgical error can lead to a host of damages for a victim. Damages in medical malpractice claims for surgical errors are like those in most personal injury cases. A plaintiff can recover the costs of any additional medical expenses resulting from the surgical error, such as remedial treatment costs or the cost of any corrective procedures. Plaintiffs can also recover lost income if a surgical error causes them to miss work or prevents them from working in the future. Plaintiffs may also sue for their pain and suffering, and the jury will assess the facts of the case to determine an appropriate figure for this type of damage. For additional information regarding potential damages in surgical error cases, consult a New Jersey surgical error attorney.
Free Consultation with a Trusted New Jersey Surgical Error Lawyer
When surgical errors cause injuries and other damages in New Jersey, plaintiffs need reliable legal representation they can trust. The attorneys at Meirowitz & Wasserberg, LLP, have a combined 30 years of experience handling all types of civil actions, and we can put our experience to work in your case. If you or a loved one recently suffered injuries and other damages from a surgical error, contact our firm to schedule a free consultation. One of our attorneys will meet with you to discuss your options for legal recourse and provide you with an estimate of the compensation you could win in your case.